Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Christmas Carol

Welcome to Lit For Joy . The purpose of this blog is for book lovers to find time to read novels in their busy lives and have an opportunity to discuss their readings.

I have a large list of books that has been continually growing but I have not had time to just sit read, and when I do read I love to discuss these novels with others.

The plan of this blog is that each week there will be an assigned reading. The weeks' reading will not be too long so that everybody will be able to keep-up. If one individual would like to read a little faster, they may do so and contribute to the blog discussion as they wish with the rule that they do NOT let slip anything that will happen past the week's assigned reading.

If you are not interested in the current novel, you do not have to read it but can wait until the next novel and suggest a book that you would like to read. You do not need to feel obligated in the readings or discussions, but your contribution is what will make this blog successful and fun. The more involvement, the better!

Before we start a new book, I will give a short summary of the plot so that you may decide if you want to participate this time or wait until the next book.

The first novel that I have chosen for this blog is Charles Dickens' The Christmas Carol. I chose this novel because it is one of the Christmas classics and a story that has been made into several movies. It is also a very short novel that I believe that we could all get through quite easily. There are five chapters and so if we read a chapter a week we would finish the novel by the end of the month.

I am sure most of you are already familiar with this story, but for those who are not it is about a grumpy, selfish man who is visited by spirits on Christmas Eve and who show him his past, present, and future. It is a wonderful story that will make you look at your own life and perceptions.

For this week, December 1th- 6th, please read the first chapter of The Christmas Carol. If you do not own this book or cannot find it at the library, you can find the entire text on the Internet for free. Again, you may read at your own pace. Underneath this posting, you will be able to make comments if you click on "Comments." You do not have to contribute to the discussion, but your contribution will make this blog more successful.

Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. I love Dickens' humor. I find it entertaining to find this grumpy, selfish, old man trying to convince himself that this apparition is all "humbug," but shaking in fear as the ghost's jaw drops upon his breast and yells in misery.

    This chapter also made me think about how I may think of Christmas sometimes. Scrooge tells his nephew that Christmas is a time when people lose money and become poorer. His nephew, on the other hand, focuses upon the cheer and happiness that surrounds Christmas. We need to focus on the cheer and giving of Christmas in stead of the material things like Scrooge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I didn't finninish the fistr chapter. I got interrupted and didn't get back to it. I hope to do better next week. I liked the description that Dicken's made of Scrooge, his attitude, and focus on material things. Through the description I get the sense that he gained the material things he sought, but he is not happy.
    I like the stark comparison between Scrooges prosperty, yet he is not happy. His nephew lives in poverty,yet he is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part when Scrooge McDuck... just kidding! I am actually excited about reading a ghost story. I've seen this story as many different movie versions, but I've always thought of it as being just another christmas tale. Reading the first chapter really makes you realize that this is a cool ghost story told at christmas time. It is actually pretty scary if you put yourself in Scrooge's shoes. I love the imagery in this story. It seems like the characters are representations of their personalities. I love the image of Marley now caring the weight of the things he thought were important to him in life and how now they are such a burden to him. I also loved the part when Scrooge looks out the window and sees all the ghosts tortured by the fact they are unable to do the things they should have in life and now are unable. It really makes you think! I love Scrooge's character. He is an ornery bugger, and he reminds me of me at times. I like how he is getting a second chance to right his wrongs, to change. I think we all think about that at times. It makes him seem more human and not just a bad guy. He is what you might say is the worst in ourselves. It helps me to relate to his character. We can change, we can do better. I can't wait to see what happens next! I hope it is scary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along with Mary's comment, I too find it interesting how Scrooge doesn't have happiness with all of his riches but his poor nephew finds happiness in his poverty. I remember in one of my classes we were asked to place love, money, and health in order from most important to least. I was very surprised to find that the majority of the class put wealth first and love last.

    I believe we generally feel, including myself, that if we were wealthy that our life will be much happier. I beleive this could be true to a point considering that money pays for housing, food, clothing, etc. (making life a whole lot easier) but I believe that one of the importances of Scrooge's character is to help us see that we shouldn't allow wealth to be the center of our lives. We can find happiness in poverty if we look for it.

    I too am anxious to continue reading this week! Like Elisa, I am having fun with reading about "ghosts." It seems so ironic to have ghosts in a Christmas centered story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosena says..
    I really like his discription of the spirits who are trying to help people but can't. It is like I always have invisioned the hereafter. I believe our torment will be realizing all we could have done and should have done.
    I also liked the use of sound. The dragging of chains all the way from the celler getting closer and the ringing of the bells that never rang. Can you imagine how unnerving that would be! Also the discription of Marley's chain intrigued me. I wonder what mine would be made of??????? I hope it won't be too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a tad behind but when I picked up the book I couldn't set it down today! I was late meeting my mother at the gym and about to lock my brother out of the house so I could read!
    I enjoy the view that it was written in. I love the way that you are pulled into the story as if someone were telling it to you and bringing to life the very words in the book with a passion that would otherwise be missed! I'm with Rosena about the chain. Just the image of it and idea of the sound that something like that would make sends shivers down my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was interesting how when Scrooge was arguing with his nephew that he often had nothing to say to excuse his behavior other than “humbug.” I think he couldn't defend himself well because he doesn't even understand himself and why he behaves the way he does. I don't think he even knows how Ebeneezer became Scrooge. I think this is so true for human nature. How often do our choices and experiences shape us into who we are--Life pulls us along on a leash when we are not paying attention. We need to take control of our lives by being deliberate and smart about our choices. It is human nature to make excuses for the bad choices we have made. Instead, we should try to learn from them and stop enabling ourselves.

    I also liked the part where Scrooge sees the spirits tortured by the things they are unable to do (that they should have done while they were alive). How often do we kick ourselves for failing to do or act like we know we should, only to tell ourselves we will change tomorrow. We can't put things off or we will end up being the very person we wish we weren't! I personally have to much I'd like to change about me to be procrastinating. Who knows how long any of us have?

    ReplyDelete